
This is an illustration by Dan Luvisi. It's his own adaptation of the character 'Willy Wonka' from the story 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' by Roald Dahl. The media used for this illustration is digital painting. So far this is the only example I have found of someone re-imagining a well-known and iconic character. He makes the character look evil, almost sinister. It's something totally different to what people usually see. It reminds me of something from a Japanese Manga animation. I think the use of limited colour makes the figure stand out more. I personally feel that the figure looks too much like the 'Mad Hatter' from 'Alice in Wonderland'. I think you only notice that it's 'Willy Wonka' because of the letter 'W' on certain parts of the figure and the chocolate bars and sweets on his hat. For my own project 'Re-Imagining of Fairy Tales' I am going to use a similar approach for my illustrations. It may not be the style, but I will focus on the themes and subject matter. I want to turn everything in the story on it's head.
No comments:
Post a Comment