Sunday, 13 March 2011

Robotic Editorials 2



This is my finished illustration for ‘Scientists Worry Machines May Outsmart Man’ article by John Markoff for the New York Times. The article is mainly about weather there are any limits on the growth of technology, will it one day control everything in the world? This is a really common subject explored in the field of robotics. The beauty of this article is that it gives both sides of the argument. Its gives the positive view of the advancement of technology and how it could control everything. The other side is saying how machines need a human to switch them on and off, so a robot uprising is impossible at the moment!

The main idea I had for this article was to try to represent something being outsmarted. I came up with the concept of a human playing a game of chess with a robot, but some of the sketches I did looked too much like a scene, whereas I wanted symbolism to play more of a role. So I came up with the idea of a robot hand holding a chess piece with a human’s face on it to represent how the robots control humans. Again I am pleased with the way this illustration came out. I mostly like the viewpoint in this because the chessboard looks endless. I think it works well not having too many different colours and objects which could be a distraction. The only thing I think I could improve on for this illustration is making the chess piece a bit bigger so you can see the face on the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment