Monday, 28 March 2011

Robotic Editorial 4



This is the final robotic editorial illustration for the article ‘The Future of Robots’ by Ray Kurzweil. The article is about how Futurist Ray Kurzweil discusses how in the future there will be no barrier between man and machine becoming one. The main point this article makes is that through new technology the possibilities are endless. It mentions that using robotic technology one day they will be able to repair the main organs and cure diseases inside the body. Again, as with the other articles, I chose to illustrate this one because I really enjoyed its subject matter.


My main inspiration for creating an illustration for the text came from this sentence, ‘So we will have both the hardware and software to achieve human-level intelligence in a machine by 2029. We will also by then be able to construct fully humanlike androids at exquisite levels of detail and send blood-cell-size robots into our bodies and brains to keep us healthy from inside and to augment our intellect.’


After doing several sketches I came up with the idea of having a test tube with tiny robots in it, giving the illusion that it’s liquid when in fact it consists of robots. I wanted the robots to look like pixels giving them a digital appearance. I wanted some of the squares to be 3-D because I wanted to give the sense of something moving. I also did another illustration for this article, which is one of the robots under a microscope so you can see what the robots in the test tube would look like. Some of the details in this robot include things like the syringe like legs. This is one of my favourite robotic editorial illustrations because the two illustrations work well with one another. I used two shades of green to give a hint of the medical use of the robots.

No comments:

Post a Comment